Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Figure drawing from college

So some of the figures I've drawn have already appeared in this blog BUT I took some figure drawing classes in college and have collected some of the art from them.  I would like to get back into figure drawing but have mostly been focusing on landscapes for my oil paintings and scientific figures for cellular/molecular biology illustrations.  These drawings are all done using models in that class.


Walnut ink on newsprint: The first one took 40 minutes but the next two were 2 minutes each

Detail of the face and torso



We also tried to capture the figure when she was in motion or only holding a pose for a short period of time.  We did this as a warm up for most classes.  This drawing is a mixture of pencil and conte crayon.


I included this conte drawing which was also from that course because you can tell I was trying to get the spine but proportions didn't come together and the model ultimately looks like a bit of a gorilla woman on the paper.  Oops!!!  For me, art requires practice.  The styles I work on tend to get better and the others fall by the wayside.  If any of you have a similar problem leave a comment (or some tips!!)

Also I don't want to end this post on a bad note sooo here are some ones I think came out a bit better.  One is in pencil, the other is walnut ink. You can see the outline on the side of the first one where I was searching for the spine and proportions but not quite getting it.  This was timed.  Rather than erasing I just moved over to a blank area and started again.  In the one with the walnut ink, the model was leaning on a gigantic vase.  You can see a little of it. at the edge of the paper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment